Guest Post with Dianne Corbeau

Sunday, July 16, 2023



Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are well. I am excited to bring you a guest post from Dianne Corbeau today. Please help me with giving her a warm welcome to the Blog.

*************

My inspiration for my novella, Six Days in Detox, was my living through this horrendous experience and being able to share it with others.

While having my education and life experience, I could observe, document, and bring to fruition this novella. What had happened to me being institutionalized in a state hospital after twenty-six years of sobriety. Everything gone. The only way back was through the trenches of withdrawal from alcohol and coming to terms with my past. The withdrawal was as bad as it could get. My organs were failing, and I was on death’s door. I am not the only individual that has experienced such devastation. I wanted to bring this devastation to the forefront and present it in a layered, complex, and almost unbelievable way. But it happened. It was a hard look at not just internally but within the system. It was the Perfect Storm. Where all things came to the surface in my most vulnerable state and having had the will to survive even if death seemed like a better answer at the time.

My pain was my inspiration as well. This pain brought about growth which in turn brought about great healing. It is necessary to share this experience with others with the hope of forming connections. These connections are vital for the growth of the human spirit. At least, this is how it works for me in the present moment.

The backstories are woven throughout the book which adds another element that leads to a better understanding of what was happening internally with my process. Additionally, the emotional turmoil had reached its capacity.

I wanted to share my horrific experience with others to understand this was a singular experience and this single hospital, not anywhere else. I was not out to persecute anyone; I just told my story. My truth.

The book talks about my experiences, hoping this experience can benefit others. Whether institutionalized, free, or trapped in some mental health cycle, the feeling of aloneness is outstanding. The shame and isolation of addiction and mental health issues can be extremely isolating. I wanted to connect on a human level and hope to succeed.

The novella adds a caretaker, Alexander, to my life. It shows the trying time my friend endured while being my advocate. The advocates are the lifesavers. They are the link that connects the patients to their doctors when they cannot advocate for themselves. It was imperative I showed his caring as a true friend and a stellar advocate. The importance of this dynamic is vital to the patient. The advocate’s family members, friends, or loved ones are all to be recognized, for it takes a village sometimes.

With all the story’s twists and turns, there are humorous moments, as there are in life. Learning to make humorous outlooks on otherwise a devastating experience helped me process what was going on.

It has been a gift, my experience, and I believe one person’s experience could help another.

Through my personal experience, I connect with others, learn, and grow.

Through connection and sharing each other’s experiences, we can grow into the human beings we were meant to be.


***************
Additional Information Here:

Amazon:

Goodreads:

Barnes & Noble:

Facebook:

Linkedin:

 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS