Guest Post: Rich Israel

Friday, May 19, 2017


Hi Everyone! 


I am excited to be here today to bring you a guest post from author Rich Israel. Be sure to check out the post and his book! Check out here to get more information!

Happy Reading!
********************************

Rich Israel | Why I Wrote My Book

In my memoir, Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes, I write about my wacky experiences during the late 1960s. Fresh out of college and eager for adventure, I was lured by the infamous call “turn on, tune in, drop out.” Whether hitchhiking across the country, exploring the West Coast in my hippie van, or riding on horseback through the Rockies, I pushed forward with a combination of passion, sensitivity, and reckless abandon. Along the way, I stumbled upon one unforgettable character after another, not allowing the occasional heartbreak to slow my stride.
The ’60s were such extraordinary years for me that I wanted to share with people of all ages what it felt like to be there. I also wanted to joggle a few memories for those who were fortunate enough to catch that fantastic wave.

The Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam War, and a generation’s thirst for self-exploration created the hippie phenomenon, which began as a brotherhood of love, compassion, discovery, and rebellion. This shift in consciousness caused an evolution of our society that continues to influence our lives today.

There has never be anything like it—every day filled with freedom, excitement, revelation, and growth—a time when my moral compass was right on point. It is said, “If you remember the ’60s, you weren’t there.” Believe me, I was there and indulged, but I also used enough discretion to preserve a fair number of functioning brain cells.

Luckily, without having kept a journal or taken a single photograph, I can still recall vivid stories from that era. They are personal treasures. When you read them, be prepared for an honest if sometimes youthful portrayal of my actions, thoughts, feelings, strengths, and inadequacies.
Books are designed to transport us to different periods and places. They are also meant to plunge us into the minds and hearts of interesting characters. This is what I wanted to accomplish when I wrote Groovin’. Plenty of books cover the history of the ’60s but few offer the chance to know what it was like to live on the front lines.

Writing my memoir has been an adventure in itself. It took me fifteen years to turn all my stories into a manuscript and then another two years to edit. During this later period, I would often wake in the middle of the night and relive events from my past. With a pen and paper I kept next to my bed, I recorded my feelings at the time so I could accurately convey them. Feedback has confirmed that this practice achieved the desired effect.


My greatest wish is for my readers to step into the pages and visualize the surroundings, taste the excitement, and experience the spirit and emotions. I’m pleased to find that people are enjoying more than a few chuckles from my goodhearted romp.

*************
Thanks for the insight and stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS