Reading Recap

Friday, March 31, 2017


Hi Everyone!

It's been a little while since I have done a reading recap event here on the blog, so I thought I would stop by today with just a couple reviews of books I have read recently.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Information from Amazon:
Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years. 

Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time between wearing digital watches? For all the answers stick your thumb to the stars. And don't forget to bring a towel!

My Thoughts:
I picked up this book at the recommendation of a friend. It is not my typical read, but I enjoyed it. The imagery throughout the book was fun and it kept me interested in the story throughout. There were some one liners in the book that I especially enjoyed. I appreciated this book and was glad to have broken out of my normal shell to read it.


The Girl on the Train
Information from Amazon:
EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

My Thoughts:I buddy read this book with my friend Brittany. I enjoyed the story, but I couldn't help but think about the paranoia throughout the book. I know that it was a very traumatic experience, but it was interesting to see the psyche of the characters throughout. When I reached the conclusion, I started to understand it a bit more. This book was a suspenseful read.


Have you read these books? What did you think?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS