Book Review: The Lobster Kings

Monday, May 25, 2015



Author: Alexi Zentner

Summary from Goodreads:

This book follow the Kings family in their lobster fishing home, Loosewood Island. The story is one of love, loss, and about Cordelia’s own coming of age in a world dominated typically by males. Part of the story reflects on the history of the land, while meeting the present day challenges that go along with the field they work in.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book in a Goodreads giveaway. While I did not pay for the book, the opinions expressed in this book are strictly my own.

Personal Review:

What a book! I found it to be very well written with vivid images describing happens in the lobster fishing field. In addition to the demands that the sea has for the family to be successful, a parallel track was written outlining the demanding lines that family can have on a person as they inherit the family legacy. This story was filled with a lot of sibling rivalry.

I found myself emotionally very invested in this book. Imagination is a strong suit for the author. I think because I was so caught up in it though, it felt very roller coaster like to me. There were ups and downs, good and bad. I think some of the 'bad' were a little hard for me to stomach as were some extreme acts. That said though, I can understand the inclusion of them in the book. I just personally tend to not perfer those extremes.
 
All in all, I have to say that I enjoyed the book.

Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS