Book Review: The Theft of Memory

Sunday, May 17, 2015





Author: Jonathan Kozol

Summary from Goodreads: This book offers insight into how Jonathan experiences life as he watches his father, Dr. Harry Kozol, deal with his Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Kozol spent his life as a neurologist and in the early stages is able to explain his sickness as his dementia progresses.

The books shows vulnerability of the author as he tries to make sense of the memories that have left an impact on his life over the years. In a particular passage, his mother references the ‘penalty of love’ that a caregiver experiences when they have to look after another individual. For anyone who has been in those shoes, they know the road is not easy.

I enjoyed the book. Disclaimer: I was awarded this book in a Goodreads giveaway. While I did not pay for the book, the opinions expressed in this book review are strictly my own.


Personal Review:
I enjoyed this book. That said, it was hard to read sometimes. I tend to be one of those people who get very emotionally wrapped up in a book and it was sometimes hard to read the words. I have never had to deal with a family not being able to recognize me.  I think that the reality of the situation is what moved this story along.


I find it admirable of the author to want to document the memories he had with his parents, especially those of his father. Near the end he discusses his incredibly high expectations for his son and how that has changed his life. In a sense you almost can feel Jonathan facing the realities that were too hard for him to articulate when he was in the moment, through his words on the page.


All in all, I would recommend this book for anyone who has ever had to deal with a the loss of a loved one. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS