Reading Recap

Friday, December 30, 2016



Hi Everyone!

It has been awhile since I have done a reading recap. I  also wanted to be sure that I got these books listed as complete before the end of the year, so here are some mini-reviews!

Paris for One
The acclaimed author of Me Before You is back again with another book. This one is very different than Me Before You, but I still enjoyed it. In this book, we meet Nell and get to adventure with her to Paris. I found this book to be a quick, witty book with a lot of heart. I enjoyed it.

Tiger Eyes
I picked up this book for the Diverse December challenge and because it is a Judy Blume book I have never read before. I can tell that from this book that there was ome deep reflection and themes that run throughout this book. This book talks about what is like to keep on living after losing a loved one and I appreciated the story.

Jr. Iditarod
Another book that I picked up for Diverse December. This one is a short children’s book, but is jammed packed with information about the race. I love that they have a smaller race for those who still want to experience the excitement. I learned about the extreme care of the dogs and how they leave the course open until every single person makes it back. I loved this story.

Peaches
I picked up this manga on a whim at the library. It was an interesting read. I had not anticipated some of the language or topics, but that didn’t stop me from reading it. The drama of ‘Peaches’ was one that kept me entertained throughout the book and I am looking forward to picking up the next one to find out what happens.

Lumberjanes Vol. 5
If there is one thing I love, it is LumberJanes. This volume was amazing again and I had so much with the ladies on their new adventures and with meeting creatures from the sea! I love the illustrations and adore the writing in these books.

Scrappy Little Nobody
Anna Kendrick’s book about her life and the stories that helped to make her who she is was full of interest. I enjoyed the back stories about how she was involved in plays early in life and the pictures included were a nice touch. I also enjoyed hearing about how she is much more comfortable in sweats then in a formal dress. The book was what I expected it to be and I really enjoyed the interesting factoids along the way.

What Light
The newest book from Jay Asher is a cute romance and I enjoyed it. I liked how the character fell for someone despite knowing that she shouldn’t. I liked that it had theme of getting to know the full story before making a judgement on another person. A cute read and perfect for the holiday season.

Shrill
This book completely lives up to its title. It has parts that are both unbelievable and parts that are even at times hard to read. That said, I appreciated the story so very much. The author shares parts of her life that are immensely personal and I am impressed on how she is willing to put herself out there like that. I think that my take away from this book is about learning to love yourself. Not an easy topic, but a book that is worth the read.

Diplomatic Immunity
When I found this book was about DC, I knew I needed to pick it up. In this one the character is working on to get a journalism scholarship at an elite DC school. When she gets the idea to cover a story that can expose some of those around her, it sets up an interesting plot. I don’t want to spoil this one for anyone, but the book was an interesting read and I loved that it was about a place that is so close to home.

1984
This book has been on my TBR for forever. Not to mention it also helps me wrap up my popsugar and read harder challenges for 2016. This book is a dystopian book, which I don’t always love but I do appreciate the mainly world themes throughout. An interesting book. Definitely makes you think!


The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
I liked this book, but there was a lot of this book that I feel like I didn’t really ‘get.’ Some of the passages are not written in a style that is familiar to me, so I found them a little confusing. I did like the story between Huck and Tom and I liked that it exposed me to something different. If I could go back in time and read this in school, I feel like it would have meant more and I would have had a better understanding. I read this book towards completion of the popsugar and read harder challenges for 2016.

Handle with Care
I picked up this book for the Diverse Readathon and a little bit early for the #JPathon. I adore Jodi’s books because they always make you think. This book was a good read, but not one that one resonating as much with me (I do not have children). That said, I still found the book to be an interesting read and I am glad that to have read it.

Cinder
I have picked up and put this book down several times. It was the last book I needed to read for my popsugar and read harder challenges. That said, now time for the unpopular opinion, I liked it but I did not love it. I know that many people adore this series and while I found it an interesting retelling, I just felt like something was missing. I can’t put my finger on what it is, but there it is. I am glad for the idea of this book though and appreciated the different perspective.

Whew! That got a little longer than expected. I hope that your year wraps up with lots of books that you love! Happy Almost New Year!

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. You got some good reading done lately! I really want to start reading Lumberjanes. That's next on my graphic novel tbr. I'm also happy to see you liked What Light. Hopefully I'll be reading that book before the winter's end. I am curious--are you planning to read more from The Lunar Chronicles? I read Cinder a few years ago and have yet to read the rest.

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad that you're going to read Lumberjanes! Not sure about the rest of the lunar series, right now I am focusing on my Tbr stack. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS