Book Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Thursday, May 21, 2015





Author: Matthew Quick

Summary from Goodreads:
This is the story of Leonard Peacock and the course of his day, which happens to be his birthday. He has made the incredibly hard decision that this will be the day he will not only kill himself, but also his former best friend. A gripping story that leaves you wondering how it will all turn out, the book takes you through a variety of emotions, page by page.  


Personal Review:
Let me start off by saying, what a book! This book was quite the roller coaster of a read. The author writes with an honesty that makes you want to reach out and give Leonard a hug, that somehow it will be okay, and to let him know that the world is better because he is in it.

 

I want to be honest, it was hard for me to read that someone would want to do this to another person and to himself. Even when you discover the reason behind it, it was very hard for me to relate to the situation and how much pain he must have been in. That said, I think that this is a very real topic and I am glad that the author was willing to step up to the plate to address it. He creates a world that makes sense for Leonard. In all thoughts, we soon discover a central theme that all of our actions have consequences. That reaching out to take care of one another is important. People do matter.
 

I was drawn into the part where the author discusses how Leonard follows people on the train and picks out the saddest person. I take the train on nearly a daily basis for work and I often think of those others that are on the train with me. The workplace can take its toll on a person and the way that was captured was done in a very real way.


All in all, not sure what I expected from this book. It was a read that made me think. I appreciate that.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS