Book Nerd Bites: Winter Storms and Pumpkin Pie

Friday, October 28, 2016



Book Nerd Bites is an original monthly feature created by some lovely book bloggers Becca, Cyra, Kristie, Natasha, and I as part of the Book Blogger Creativity Project hosted by Nori. Thanks to my team for coming up with a fun and creative way to satisfy both our book-- and actual appetites!  
Each month we will be sharing exciting recipes inspired by some of our favorite books. Feel free to join in, but please make sure you link your post back to us so we can enjoy your favorite bookish delights as well!

Don't forgot to use if you want to share your food inspiration with us on twitter or instagram!

Today for my post for this project, I will be featuring...Winter Storms!  
This book is 3rd in the Trilogy from one of my favorite authors: Elin Hilderbrand. I have so much that I could say about this book, but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. All I can say is that it was wonderful and worth the read. I am so glad that I finally got to know what happened.

*********************
But that said, this book has insipred me to start thinking ahead for the holidays and what will be cooking! In my house my husband actually usually does the holiday cooking, but I do enjoy the deserts, so here is one of my faves: Pumpkin Pie

(Full credit to Betty Crocker for this recipe).

Pat-in-the-Pan Pastry

1 1/3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cold water

Filling

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

Sweetened Whipped Cream

3/4 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions

  • 1 Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the oil with fork until all flour is moistened. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all water is absorbed. Shape pastry into a ball. Press in bottom and up side of 9-inch glass pie plate.
  • 2 In large bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, the cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, ginger, cloves, pumpkin and milk.
  • 3 To prevent spilling, place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack before adding filling. Carefully pour pumpkin filling into pie plate. Bake 15 minutes.
  • 4 Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake about 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Place pie on cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
  • 5 In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Serve pie with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.
Happy Reading and Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS