Book Review: Beyond the Carousel

Sunday, February 5, 2017



Author: Bette Lee Crosby
 
Summary:
A FAMILY TRAGEDY, A 25 YEAR OLD MURDER, AND A DETECTIVE DETERMINED TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT...

Laura Wilkes has everything a woman could want when she snaps the carousel picture. Her daughter, a happy little five-year-old, is holding the brass ring and smiling at a daddy who adores her. Each time the carousel circles around Laura snaps another picture, seven in all. This is a day of unforgettable happiness; one of the few Laura has left.

In the months following the stock market crash, Franklin Wilkes is killed; gunned down in senseless act of vengeance. The police know who did it, but the man has disappeared. It’s the height of the depression and there are hoards of nameless, faceless men living in freight train yards and back alleys. The murderer is never caught, but Laura and Emory, her father, never give up hope of finding him.

Now, twenty-five years later, Laura’s daughter has fallen in love with Jack Mahoney a policeman working crowd control with the strikers at the Telephone Company.

Right now Mahoney is a rookie, he has little or no power, but Emory is hopeful he is the one person who can ultimately find Franklin’s killer and deliver the justice the family has long awaited.
Readers of the other Wyattsville books will welcome the chance to get to know the kind-hearted Spare Change detective as a young man about to fall in love.

Personal Review:
I wasn't really sure what I would get when I agreed to look into this book, but the cover intrigued me so I said sure. The book turned out to be a read that kept my attention and was full of romance, hard times, and a quest for justice.

Full disclosure, I haven't read the others so I don't know if that helps with the story or not. I felt okay with reading this one though. My favorite part of this book was characters. In each of the generations and situations, they really have strong emotions about whatever is handed to them.

I appreciated the opportunity to review this book. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book from the author. Though I did not pay for the book, the opinions are strictly my own.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS