Book Review: Mirages of the Mind

Monday, September 7, 2015



 Author: Meshtaq Ahmed Yousufi

Summary from Goodreads:

This book follows Basharat and his adventures in Pakistan. Throughout the book, he and his family learn to deal with their new home, while missing the old country ‘India.’ The book is a series of stories that help the reader to know what the author was experiencing as that transition is made.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book in a Goodreads giveaway. While I did not pay for the book, the opinions expressed in this book are strictly my own.


Personal Review:
This was an interesting book and one that was not an easy to read book. There are parts of the book that are culturally unfamiliar to me. Please know that I mean nothing bad by that, but rather that some parts may be more entertaining for those who have more familiarity with the places and traditions of that culture. All of that said, I am really happy for the exposure to it! I love that with a book you can be invited in for the events, but still make sense of it in a way that feels good to you. 

In each of the ‘small stories” throughout the book we are able to gain a deeper understanding of the family’s experience in a new place. The author uses humor in many situations and that was appealing to me as a reader.  All in all, I have to say that it was a book that I probably wouldn’t have picked up on my own, but I am glad that I chance.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS