Book Review: The Lessons of Lifelong Intimacy

Thursday, June 11, 2015





Author: Michael Gurian

Summary from Goodreads:
This book is part research, part practical advice for some guiding principles for achieving a balanced and happy marriage. The author delivers the book through a variety of stories about the experiences of real life couples.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book in a Goodreads giveaway. While I did not pay for the book, the opinions expressed in this book are strictly my own.


Personal Review:
This was an interesting book. I enjoyed the author’s ability to relate what the research was saying to the real world and couples that he has encountered throughout the years. This was not an easy book to read because it makes you wonder if there are things you can do to make your marriage better. That said, I am very happy with my marriage and husband. I think that the take away for me is that when you are married, you are in a committed relationship. There are going to be times when things maybe aren’t exactly like you planned, it is how you handle those that help define how it will go.


A couple of ‘nuggets’ I wanted to share from the book:

-Teaching Better Communication and Conflict Skills are Crucial
-Take care of your internal ‘baggage’. Don’t try to project that on your partner
-The most difficult courage to muster is the courage of imperfection
-You have to find a way to be content with your own life

 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS