Book Review: In Memory of Bread

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Photo Credit: Penguin Random House


Have you ever had a food allergy? Wondered what is it like to not be able to eat something? The author of The Memory of Bread knows this all too well. In his memoir, we get taken along for the ride as he recounts the experiences that led up to him learning about his celiac disease, as well the journey once it ‘diagnosed’ and where he goes from there. What a considerable change this amateur beer brewer and bread lover had to endure. 

In this book, we get both a story and a lesson. I have a friend who is gluten free, but I have not experienced myself. In a world where there is so many foods made with wheat this is hard topic. It is even more amazing to understand how it impacts the body and the toll it takes when you cannot process it.

Tasks like going out to eat at a restaurant can be daunting and underwhelming. Hobbies with friends can be challenged. All in all, we see the author coping with a lot of things and we get to see a very vulnerable side to his story.

The appreciated the candor and the honesty of this book. I loved learning more about something that feels like is becoming more common place. I love that so many are willing to step up to the challenge and create food that remains tasty for those who have to be careful about what they ingest.

If you like food and learning, I would recommend this book for you. It is a good eye opener and I appreciated the story very much.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book as part of the Blogging for Books program. Though I did not pay for the book, the opinions are strictly my own.

**********************************************
About In Memory of Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS